Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Autumn approaches

Well, they tell us autumn is on its way, but yesterday it was 28.5 all day! Today is still hot and sunny. We went to that rugby match, it was just like watching Scotland after all… the Bloue (Correct spelling…Afrikaans!) Bulls, “our” team, lost to a New Zealand team, the Canterbury Crusaders. The score was …54 – 19. Still it was quite an experience, the crowds waving big blue flags, lots of loud music, floodlights, etc. We also had a buffet dinner in the box so it was a great night.
My talk to the librarians seems to have been well received; I’ve had quite a few emails and offers of school visits as a result. Only one problem, the powerpoint failed to open!!! It was working fine here in the morning and it is still working fine here, but just would not open at the school! The school’s IT guy came down and pressed a lot of keys, all the while shaking his head and saying, “It’s not looking good; let me just try this; Ah, I think it might be…” Just like our own dear I.Mac at GHS. And still the b****y thing didn’t work! So they just had to listen to me for an hour. I had even added photographs and animated text, remembering how to from an in-service a couple of years ago! Anyway, I still have it on my memory stick so maybe one day I will subject another audience to it!
We have been busy booking up short breaks now that all our visitors have gone. On March 15 we are going to the Drakensberg Mountains and in April we are flying to Durban and having a few days at Umhlanga Rocks. We are also looking at options for a trip to Cape Town and the wineries but nothing fixed yet.
Martin is hoping to come here for a couple of weeks in May. He is currently working in Broome having driven from Perth. When he gets to Melbourne, he hopes to fly here then return there for the rest of his gap year.

No comments: