Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Feels like home

Wednesday 14th. After breakfast, we went to buy everything. And I mean everything! The house is furnished and equipped but no one has ever lived here before, so a brand new house is empty! By that I mean, at home if I look long and hard enough, I can usually turn up just about anything; a candle, a pair of scissors, a needle and thread(even if I don't always know what to do with stuff, I can find it). There's always stuff lurking at the back of a drawer. But here there is nothing!Imagine my distress trying to decide which dusters, what floor cleaner would be best! We filled two trolleys then came back to unload and figure out what was still essential. Quite a lot actually!Bathmats, kitchenroll holder, hooks for a dishtowel, breadboard, clothes pegs,hairdryer, adaptor plugs......... We went to a different shopping mall (three in two days, a record even for me) and picked up yet more stuff. Ok, I know I said I was going to declutter and keep it that way but everywhere looks so bare! The fridge now looks so much better with a shoal of magnetic fish swimming across it. Candles in nice simple white china holders look good on the black and glass dining table(I didn't choose it!)And we really need all the stuff I bought in the equivalent of the Pound Shop. I am not yet very familiar with the money here, the sums seem so huge I am sure I am spending a fortune. I actually quizzed the girl in one shop about the price of a storage jar and those magnetic fish until I realised that R23 is less than £2. This evening we had burgers and a salad (fried because I still can't work the oven and grill bit of the fancy cooker)and having had someone from the office come to sort out the TV, Les is installed in front of it while I am in the next room which is called the study. The TV room, this study, a loo and a huge outdoor covered entertainment area are upstairs while 3 bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom and dining/sitting room are downstairs.Everywhere is laminate flooring and the decor is plain painted walls in mainly neutral shaeds so I will be able to buy colourful accessories... Oh, wait! I forgot about the less cluttered lifestyle again!
Tomorrow Les goes to work and I am am going to spend the day cleaning,rearranging cupboards, doing laundry and making dinner, just like a good little housewife. Hmm. Wonder how long that will last!!

No comments: