Friday, November 30, 2007

Freedom of the road

The freedom of the open road is mine at last! I actually found it a lot easier than I had imagined when I was sitting in the passenger seat. What was putting me off was the size of the car; it’s a big BMW and the fact that obviously it doesn’t belong to us, as well as the fact that it’s an automatic which takes a bit of getting used to. I am sure my left arm should be bruised as every time I went to “change gears,” Les slapped it! So the answer was to get on out there on my own, which I did this week. The roads are wide and busy and the drivers are crazy!!! But I just kept my hands on the wheel, eyes fixed ahead and a look of grim determination on my face so that no one messed with me!
On Wednesday I drove Les to work then went to an event at my philosophy class which included lunch. That was very nice and I met some more people there. After the class on Thursday it was the end of term party and I met yet more new people, so I don’t feel so much like Nellie Nae Pals now.
I will be turning into a pumpkin or something, out two nights this week! The dinner on Monday with folk from Les work was good, especially the pudding which was a chocolate mousse served in a little pot in the shape of a witch’s cauldron, complete with lid and three little feet…all made out of chocolate! It looked almost too good to eat… So I didn’t …
HA HA HA what do you think? I didn’t get this size by turning down a chocolate pudding because it looked too good!! It was lovely.
The weather here is MISERABLE! It is freezing, high winds, rain, in fact just reminds me of Scotland, except there you can turn up the heat and put on a jumper. We have neither; the houses here don’t routinely have heating or air conditioning either for when it is hot. Our goods are still not here, although we have had an update. They seem to have reached the top of the queue and are with customs for inspection. We expect them the middle of next week, jumpers and all and it will probably be roasting hot by then!
There are a lot of trees round about us. But all is not as it seems; there is one just opposite that is much higher than all the others. It is a pine and has a beautiful even bark and perfect branches…almost too perfect, because, in fact, it turns out it is not real! It is a cunningly disguised mobile phone mast. The only giveaway is a wee red light on the top, bit early for Christmas! Then we noticed whilst out and about, a beautiful palm tree that was almost too perfect… red light was the giveaway again. I know it is false, not natural, but does it actually look nicer than a metal mast? Yes, I suppose it does.

No comments: