Monday, November 19, 2007

Monday's bits and bobs

We had a good weekend, spent a lot of time shopping! We also drove around a bit, looking at the area beyond Benoni. There is a fair amount of farmland nearby and the land is flat so you can see for miles from the roads. I chickened out of driving, mabe next weekend... We went to a nearby lake on Sunday for a walk. It seems to be a popular pastime to bring a picnic, use the BBQ ( or braii) provided and set up several fishing rods then sit in the shade and wait for a bite! We went to a couple of garden centres to buy planters and some plants, compost, etc. as I am already missing the garden! Les was asked if he was a pensioner to get the discount! He was not amused and said we won't be using that garden centre again! Next up we went to look at a restaurant Les had been telling me about, he has visited it before. After a look round, I asked about the price structure (it's one of these all you can eat buffet places).She took a look at Les and told us the pensioner price too! Then she complimented me on my lovely complexion and I'm sure I heard her say, "What's that young thing doing hanging about with a pensioner"
I've planted some containers by the back door with herbs for cooking; basil, coriander, parsley and rosemary. At the front, I've put in 4 planters with drought resistant plants such as lavender, gazanias, etc. Hopefully they will be in full flower soon. There were also tomatoes, peppers, etc.on sale so I hope to get some to see how they do here out of doors as I've only grown them in a greenhouse in Scotland!
At a bookshop, I bought the new McIlvanney, it was price reduced to R39 ( less than £3) for the hardback! Obviously Scottish literature is not a big seller out here! I also bought a couple of magazines, it is funny to see features on Christmas cookery with salads and BBQ recipes and ways to decorate your patio for the summer festivities. Also, it is odd in shops to see "Christmas is coming; stock up on sunblock"
I now have a local pay as you go phone, but I'm not sure yet what it will cost me and the person I'm calling if I use it to phone UK. I remember from phoning Mum in Spain that both parties foot the bill and it was mega expensive. The girl in the supermarket kindly showed me how to add airtime but I've no idea what calls cost!
Watched a TV quiz show where the penalty meant the contestant lost R5 (14 is a pound) for wrong answers. Wonder how that would go down in UK? Actually, though, the prize is cumulative with a car as star prize at the end of the week, so it's not that different, I suppose. TV this weekend also gave us Rebus with Ken Stott which was good. The city it was set in was full of beautiful old buildings and it was so green, with a lovely big castle in the background. Looks nice, maybe I will go there one day!
So that's pretty much it for now, folks, just getting on with the sweeping and mopping. I bought THE BEST mop in the WORLD and a BUCKET WITH WHEELS !!! So it's all go now!

1 comment:

Sis said...

Buckets on wheels? Is that the equivalent for "Hello John, gotta new motor?"

Did you win the cumulative star prize then with a mop thrown in?